The Yogic Yang-Spiral Meditation
The group meditation in a yang-spiral is a formation unique to the yoga schools of the ATMAN International Yoga Federation. This meditation is performed in unison worldwide, with large numbers of participants, at specific moments throughout the year. The video above shows the building of a spiral with more than 2,000 participants.
A yang-spiral meditation aims to increase participants’ awareness of Cosmic Consciousness and aid worldwide efforts of raising the consciousness of humanity. It encourages our entrance into a superior stage of evolution of humankind.
During the yogic Yang Spiral Mediation you can focus on the following:
- The yang flux of energy entering your body through your left hand and continuing its way along the spiral formation through your right hand.
- Being enriched with the qualities and virtues of all zodiacal signs – a feeling of becoming a complete human being.
- A strong elevation and sublimation of your inner energy due to increased energetic balance
- The inner circular centripetal movement that leads your consciousness towards its center, creating a vortex ofbeneficial Yang, (+), solar, HA energy.
- For this powerfully visualize the appearance and manifestation of a solar energetic vortex, deeply regenerating, beneficial and energizing which will have your spine as axis. The energy vortex rotates counterclockwise.
After the yogic Yang-Spiral Meditation you can observe the following effects:
- Increased heat generated by the beneficial Yang energizing
- An inner state of balance, regeneration, elevation, and even bliss
- Mental peace, focus and refinement
- A feeling of inner strength, expansion, enthusiasm
- A feeling of inner light, happiness, love and joy that is spontaneous and free
- Decrease of physical discomfort and even possible healing (if you have any disease)
The Yin-Yang Concept
In the Oriental philosophy and also in the modern scientific paradigm, the manifestation of the Universe always contains a double aspect: light and darkness, sky and earth, positive (+) and negative (-), solar (of the Sun) and lunar (of the Moon). In Eastern thought, the solar, positive, male aspect is called yang, and the lunar, negative, female aspect is called yin. These two concepts are in fact the expression of the Universal complementarities and dualism. The clearest example of this duality is the electric current. We all know that in order to have electricity we need a positive pole and a negative pole. Only together can they produce electrical power. None of them is better or worse than the other. The same thing holds true for the yin-yang concept. Yin and yang cannot be separate. Their mysterious rhythm and subtle alternation creates the life of the Universe.
There is an extremely simple yet profound symbol that describes this universal alternation of yin and yang. This is the well-known Yin Yang or Tai Chi symbol.
This symbol can be explained as following:
- Everything that exists in the Universe is polarized. i.e., formed of yang-solar (+) and yin-lunar (-).
- The presence of these complementarily opposed counterparts creates a tension. From this tension, Life is born. For maintaining the tension (Life), one of the poles must predominate. This predominance leads to movement, change and transformation.
- The two poles of the manifestation are contained in a circle that holds them together (in the above drawing, the exterior circle should be significantly large). This symbolizes the existence of a Transcendental Principle that controls and dominates everything from a higher level. Only in this way Creation is possible. If the Transcendent Principle didn’t make the two poles stay together, they would return into Unity, Invisibility and Non-Manifestation.
- Each polarity contains, in seed, its opposite, which means that everything is relative. Everything, in a deep and mysterious way, is its own opposite. Every moment of life includes qualities diametrically opposed to those apparently implied. The original androgyny (having male and female characteristics in one) of the human being is a concept that appears in all spiritual traditions of humanity. By virtue of this, the balance between male (+) and female (-) hormones, which is an implicit condition of life, appears in all humans.
- Man is predominantly Solar; his seed (the semen) is Lunar (-). Woman is predominantly Lunar (-); her seed (the ova) is Solar (+). Thus, Tai Chi is a perfect symbolic synthesis of the Universe and Man, masterfully defining the essence of the Yoga Science.
- The representation of the two poles, the Solar (+) and the Lunar (-) as being equal is an idealistic point of view. A perfect balance leads to absence of tension, hence non-manifestation. In the manifested worlds, there always is and must be a predominant pole. The state of power appears when the two poles are very close to a perfect balance. A strong lack of balance between them results in weakness, suffering, illness, lack of self-control and lack of power.
- Yang is centripetal (it proceeds toward a center or axis) and moves in energy vortexes that turn counterclockwise, while yin is centrifugal (it proceeds away from a center or axis) and moves in energy vortexes that turn clockwise. Yang is the principle of order, structure and decrease of entropy. Yin is the principle of chaos, lack of structure and increase of entropy.
The Symbolism of the Spiral
The spiral is charged with multiple symbolic meanings, many of them referring to the dynamic interaction between yin and yang.
The yang spiral expresses the luminous, solar, dynamic and optimistic energy. Moving along the arm of this spiral leads you to its center, which represents the Source of Creation from which everything that exists originated and to which it will all return.
The yang-spiral thus represents the circular centripetal movement of returning to the Center, and is related to spiritual evolution leading to liberation from the cycle of reincarnations. The yin spiral is related to the direction of involution, of binding into the cycle of reincarnations and of moving away from the Center.
The spiral shape often appears in nature like the well-known example of the snail shell. The symbolism of the spiral is also scientifically supported by the mathematical theory of the logarithmic spiral and of the Golden Number, or Fibonacci series. The Golden Number was discovered by the Italian mathematician Leonardo Fibonacci (c. 1170 – c. 1240), also called Leonardo of Pisa.
Fibonacci numbers have many interesting properties and are widely used in mathematics. Natural patterns, such as the spiral growth of leaves on certain trees, often exhibit the Fibonacci series. Corollaries of this are the fractal structures and the discovery of fractal geometry.
The Yang-Spiral Meditation
In this meditation, the participants (paired up man-woman) hold hands and are arranged according to the succession of the 12 astrological zodiac signs. This arrangement triggers complex phenomena of resonance with the positive influx of the yang energy, and also with the beneficial aspects of each of the 12 zodiac signs and with the subtle energy of their ruling planets.
As a result, the subtle aura of each participant is charged with beneficial energy that balances and heals at a very deep level, accelerating in the same time the spiritual evolution of consciousness. Directly proportional with the size of the spiral and with the number of participants, each person can experience an intense state of bliss. During a yang-spiral, each participant (regardless of his or her astrological sign) can experience the beneficial aspects of all the 12 zodiacal signs, thus turning into a miniature replica of the Perfected Cosmic Human Being.
The Subtle Influences of the 12 Astrological Signs
During a yang-spiral, the archetypal characteristics that surface for each of the astrological signs are:
- Aries channels the primordial impulse and endless enthusiasm
- Taurus channels the sustained creative effort
- Gemini channels the mysterious polarity of creation
- Cancer channels the state of passivity and attachment
- Leo channels the energy of life and love in its most expansive form
- Virgo channels the power of discernment and intuition
- Libra channels the power of sociability and the just middle way, by which contrasts are harmonized
- Scorpio channels the mysteries of disintegration of matter and profound spiritual transformation
- Sagittarius channels the duality between instincts and superior spiritual aspirations and discovery of the path toward the source of creation
- Capricorn channels the process of transcendence
- Aquarius channels superior spiritual states of consciousness
- Pisces channels the power to explore our inner world and reach the state of spiritual liberation
Simultaneously, through the Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn signs, the participants of a yang-spiral can experience the subtle energies of the earth element (Prithivi Tattva).
Through Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces , the participants can experience the subtle energies of the water element (Apas Tattva).
Through Aries, Leo and Sagitarius, the participants can experience the subtle energies of the fire element (Tejas Tattva).
Through Gemini, Libra and Aquarius, the participants can experience the subtle energies of the air element (Vayu Tattva).
Thus, materiality corresponds to the earth signs, emotiveness and sensibility to the water signs, passion and enthusiasm to the fire signs and intellectualism, expansiveness and warm feelings of love to the air signs.
The Subtle Influences of the Planets
Through the Leos that join in a yang-spiral, all other participants can experience through resonance the beneficial subtle influence of the Sun, which creates the impulse to fight against darkness, refinement of consciousness, development of healing powers and revelation of the divine spirit (Atman).
Through the Cancers, all other participants can experience through resonance the beneficial subtle influence of the Moon, which fosters creativity, effortless emotional control, harmonious personality, awareness of social interaction and an inclination to meditate.
Through the Virgos and Geminis, all other participants can experience the beneficial subtle influence of Mercury, which increases intelligence, the desire to learn and know, clear communication, the power to convince people and inventiveness.
Through the Aries and Scorpios, all other participants can experience the beneficial subtle influence of Mars, which spurs quick reactions, a tendency to act spontaneously, a strong sexual power, inexhaustible energy and fair judgment. Scorpios also resonate with Pluto, which gives spiritual regeneration, magical powers, ability to transcend the individual personality and crystal-clear lucidity.
Through the Taurans and Libras, all other participants can experience the beneficial subtle influence of Venus, which promotes pure love, intense and refined eroticism, transfiguring thoughts, artistic inspiration, attraction to all that is beautiful and harmonious, good taste and tenderness.
Through the Sagittarians, all other participants can experience the beneficial subtle influence of Jupiter, which delivers profound states of mental understanding, refined thought, expansiveness, enthusiasm, the tendency toward the practical religious study, success in everything and intuition of the final goal of human existence.
Through the Capricorns, all other participants can experience the beneficial subtle influence of Saturn, which supports responsibility, seriousness, love of philosophy, prudence, honesty and the power of adaptation to difficult situations.
Through the Aquarians, all other participants can experience the beneficial subtle influence of Uranus, which encourages the spirit of adventure, creative power, search for meaning, focused attention, will power and self-control.
Through the Pisces, all other participants can experience the beneficial subtle influence of Neptune, which ignites deep spiritual intuition, expansion of consciousness, direct exploration of the beatific void, divine love without object, transcendence of the inferior structures of personality, mystic revelations, perception of divine grace and the ability to explore parallel worlds.
In synthesis, during the yang-spiral meditation, the resonance with the subtle energies of:
- Venus gradually develops a state of generosity
- Jupiter gradually develops patience
- Saturn gradually develops discipline
- Mars gradually develops the power to take fair action
- The Moon gradually develops the power to meditate
- The Sun gradually develops wisdom
- Mercury gradually develops the power to justly use the right means to accomplish what we want
- Uranus gradually develops a state of harmony that will help reach the ultimate spiritual goal
- Pluto gradually develops paranormal powers
- Neptune gradually makes possible the highest spiritual awakening that allows for the conscious reintegration into the Cosmic Consciousness
Effects of the Yang-Spiral Meditation
The participants to very large yang-spiral meditations (with at least three to four thousand people) can easily enter states of Samadhi or cosmic ecstasy. This can happen especially when their bodies, emotions and minds are fairly purified and balanced, and they succeed to focus and actively involve themselves in the specific meditation.
To understand what happens during a yang-spiral meditation through experience, you have to participate in at least three yang-spirals that are organized and done under direct supervision of competent teachers. In order to have a meaningful experience in a yang-spiral meditation, you must be very well rested and to have enough vitality. It does not matter if you suffer from an illness, in fact, this can be partially or completely cured after a few yang-spiral meditations. You do not have to be a yoga practitioner to benefit from a yang-spiral meditation.
A specific aspect generally experienced by first-time participants of a yang-spiral meditation is clearly feeling the areas of their bodies that are imbalanced, the subtle energy centers that are blocked and the aspects of their being that need improvement. Even though this might manifest as a slightly unpleasant sensation in the respective areas, in the subsequent meditations these effects will gradually diminish and disappear completely as a result of the balancing and healing effects of the tremendous beneficial energies manifested during the spiral.